Monday, June 26, 2017

WHAT'S HOPPENING: Book Signings!

What's Hoppening is a regular series highlighting points of interest and events that have taken place or will be taking place in the 515 Taproom. 

Here at 515, we are pretty lucky to know some very talented people. Two of those people, our very own beertender, Micah, and 515 superfan and super artist, Carter Allen, will be having a joint book signing on Monday July 17th 5-7pm for their respective books that have just been released. There you'll have the opportunity to chat with Micah and Carter, as well as buy their books and have your copy signed.

You're probably asking, "What kind of books? What are they about? What are the deets? WHAT." Well, lucky for you, we talked to Micah and Carter beforehand to get those deets.

First up, Micah for her book Behind in the Count:

Summary of Behind in the Count: 
Derek Beaman had it all - a career in baseball, a marriage to his high school sweetheart, and a newborn daughter. Then, he suffered an injury that sent him into a downward spiral, and he lost it all. After a break and recovery, he's getting a second chance at his Major League aspirations with the Portland Pioneers. His future as a pitcher is bright, but he's still contending with the demons of his past.

Zella Hansen is pursuing her lifelong dream of a career in baseball management. Her role in the Pioneers' front office introduces her to Derek. Zella soon realizes her feelings are more than just an admiration of his talent, but Derek's history may be enough to end the game early.

Get to know Micah Chaplin:

When did you start writing novels?
Micah: I wrote my first novel in 2002 and published it two years later. Behind In The Count is my fifth self-published work and the second in this baseball romance series about the Portland Pioneers.

What got you going in the direction of baseball books?
M: After I fell in love with the sport of baseball, I decided to merge it with my romance writing hobby. I was influenced by the books of Kate Angell. While I obviously liked the love stories in her books, I also enjoyed the dynamics of her fictional team, the Richmond Rogues.

What is your writing inspiration?
M: I'm not sure I have a particular writing inspiration. However, Brandon Finnegan (currently pitching for the Cincinnati Reds) was the visual inspiration for the lead character in Behind in the Count.

Anything exciting coming up in your future?
M: Nothing exciting anytime in the near future, but I am getting married next summer.

Behind in the Count is available in paperback as well as on Kindle, which can both be found here: https://tinyurl.com/y97z6s5m. She will also have copies available for purchase at the July 17th book signing.

---

Next up, Carter Allen's new comic book: Ectyron Against Lagaxtu

Summary of Ectyron Against Lagaxtu
When the ancient evil of LAGAXTU emerges from the depths of the Earth, it is up to the tag team of the radioactive rooster ECTYRON and ATOM.I.K.E., the cybernetic giant, to take it down!

Get to know Carter Allen:

When did you start getting into comics and why?
Carter: I started getting into comics when I was a kid. I think the biggest reason I first got into them was the bright, colorful pictures. As time marched on, I got hooked on the storylines and the characters.

What is your drive to draw?
C: I try to draw every day. It's been something I've been doing for a long time and hope to keep doing in the future. It gives me a creative outlet, a chance to express myself visually.

What do you enjoy most in comics?
C: I'd say the first thing I enjoy in comics is the visual art, but the characters and story need to be equally engaging to make me love them.

What is your favorite comic book?
C: My favorite comic book is a three way tie between Walt Simpson's Thor, Marvel's Godzilla comic and the 1970s-1980s Star Wars books.

Ectyron Against Lagaxtu will be available for purchase July 17th at the book signing. Additionally, you can join Carter the 3rd Wednesday of every month for Drink and Draw 6-9pm in the 515 taproom. 


________

Written by:
Whitney Knightly
Assistant Taproom Manager
Whitney has been trained by MI6 in England and is a renowned super spy and international woman of mystery.

No comments: